Is it possible that I’ve been blogging for almost two years? I’ve met so many amazing people online from all over the world. Please stay in touch – it is so interesting reading about your lives and stories. And a big thank you to those who contributed guests posts to the “Expat Files.” Before I get to the wishes, I want to acknowledge how grateful I am for my life, my family and my friends.
Looking at last year’s wishes I see that not much has changed. So here are SIX NEW YEARS Wishes – from the Trite to the Serious:
- Less commercialism of the holidays. I know, I know everyone says that – I think everyone WANTS that (well maybe not the bargain crazed – but there are other days) so why can’t it happen? The workers should be home with their families and friends at least for Thanksgiving and Christmas. (I read Ohio was considering making employers pay triple wages for this type of overtime.)
- Please let’s limit people talking on their cells phones on planes and public transport. Flying is bad enough these days without having to sit with someone shouting inanities (or even interesting conversation) at length. While we’re at it, how about people being quieter with their cells phone in public places by walking away to a more private place? And please could people drive hands free – or better yet wait to make that call and concentrate on your driving? (I witnessed a nasty accident last month between an aggressive and a distracted driver.)
- One Password. I can’t possibly remember them all and it is such a nuisance to search through the many possible combinations I have used. As one journalist wrote, “I long for the days when my memory was sharper and the only combination I had to remember was the one to my locker.”
- Could we have more Tolerance and Compassion for people who have different religions, ethnic backgrounds, and sexual preferences or live in poverty? For that matter I wish we give the middle class a break in this country? Enough with the rich getting richer. Remember when being a millionaire was a big deal? The richest are now worth Hundreds of Billions – it boggles the mind!
- Could the U.S. Congress get some work done and not be so obstructionist? While I’m being political, I’ll wish the Affordable Care Act a healthy future. It takes time to iron out a complicated new system – witness Social Security: how people yelled about that, but who turns it down? Ditto Medicare.
- A few of these items are very American, but I wish you all a Happy New Year where ever you are – May your dreams come true.
Feliz Año Nuevo
Please add a few more wishes from around the world! (Maybe we can get a few more languages into this multicultural blog?)